Details and Updates
Contractor: John Hummel and Associates
Engineer: D.B. Bennett, P.E, P.C.
- A renowned family of East Hampton, the Dominys were known for their craftsmanship of clocks and other pieces of furniture dating back as early as the mid-1700s. Two portions of the original structure still stand today - the 1798 Dominy Clock Shop and the 1791 Dominy Carpenter Shop. The original site was located on North Main Street and relocated once prior to Further Lane where these two structures were joined into one building.
- Upon relocating the site to 73 N. Main Street, it was discovered that some of the original foundation from the Dominy Shops was present including the doorway entrance to the building.
- Once complete, this Museum will be the second displaying the work of the Dominys, the first located in Winterthur, Delaware at the Winterthur Museum.
- An exact reconstruction of the timber frame and the exterior of the Dominy Shop house.
- The first floor will contain an exhibit area accessible to the public. It will have the original woodworking shop with its workbenches restored, displays of furniture, clocks, and educational materials.
- Both the entrance and restroom within the building will be ADA compliant.
- Reconstruction of the Clockshop chimney, masonry work completed by Phil Cangiolosi. The chimney is made up of 18th Century bricks, a third of which are from the original Dominy House.
- Stephen Long and the East Hampton Historical Society are excited to operate the Dominy Shops Museum, providing the community - visitors and residents alike - with the opportunity to present "the glue of East Hampton."
- Anticipate being open to the public in August of 2023.